Thursday, February 4, 2010

Rat Tails

Rat tails are a no no. If you don't know what a rat tail is, then look to your left and try not to throw up.

Kaldis is one of my favorite places to go in Columbia. I enjoy the busy atmosphere, sitting on the couch, reading and writing, drinking vanilla lattes, and chatting with friends.

But today, things at Kaldis took a turn for the worst. I was meeting my friend Jasmine at 1pm, but decided to go a couple hours early to get some work done. I sat down on a couch in the back and pulled out the articles I was going to read. Just as I was starting to read, a guy walked past me. Don't get excited....it was nothing special. Dude was wearing a rat tail.

Oh no! I thought. That is disgusting.

I don't know who first thought the rat tail was a good idea, so for some reason I thought it would be fun to look online and find out.

Apparently, the rat tail originated many many years ago in Eastern countries such as China and India. The style was worn mainly by religious leaders and high class gurus of various kinds.

Somehow, the stringy strand made its way across the ocean and became popular in the U.S. during the 80's. Those who wanted to rebel sported the look making it a symbol of non-conformity.

Today, the hairstyle that was once revered as a status symbol in the Far East has now been abated to rednecks and greasy-euro-wanna-be.

I think the rat tail should be banned. If its not, we should all carry lighters and set them on fire when we see them. Of course we would put the fires out before they actually burned the person. I'm merely suggesting that the only way a rat tail can look good is if it's reduced to ashes.




No comments:

Post a Comment